Saturday, October 27, 2012

Time for Self

Ah, Saturday. It actually feels fall-ish in Houston today, my kids let me sleep until 7:45, I had a great workout and then got home and ran around the cul-de-sac with my kids and husband about 10 times (my son is "practicing" for his 1-mile Thanksgiving race!). And best of all, two days of no work and time with my favorite people!

When people get to know me, it's pretty easy to see what my loves are: God, my husband, my kids,  my family, and fitness/nutrition. In that order.  And I always get asked, "How do you stay so fit and healthy with a full time job and little kids at home?". My answer is always, How could I not? When my day is packed from sun-up until sundown, my workout is my alone time. Time to refuel, physically and emotionally, and take care of me. When I was in treatment for my anorexia, one of the big things that I learned was that I had to take care of myself, mentally and physically, before I could take care of anyone else. In order to avoid a relapse, this has to be a priority in my life. Some days it's hard...I'm tired, I want to just lounge with the family, I have a million errands to run, whatever. But it catches up with me pretty quick. When my husband says, "Babe, why don't you go work out?", I know it's bad!

The good thing is, with the change in my eating and workouts lately, my workout time is usually shorter and gets me back to the real loves of my life faster. The increased intensity gets my heart rate up fast, and I sweat out all that stress and frustration like none other!

Today was not a HIIT day, which is actually hard for me because I LOVE my HIIT workouts!

My gym time looked like this:
  • 30 minutes Arc Trainer (started at 6% incline, 25 resistance and increased incline and resistance every minute until I got to 20%/40, then decreased every minute)
  • 2 minute plank
  • Superset:  Squats on Smith apparatuns 15x
  •                  Calves on Leg press 20x                (repeat 3x)
  • Superset:  Stepups with dumbbells 15x/each leg
  •                  Deadlifts on box 15x                      (repeat 3x)
  • Walking lunges holding a plate overhead    3 sets/20
  • Single leg curls (machine-laying down)      3 sets/15
  • Superset of abs with medicine ball (I don't know the names of the moves that I did! Gotta figure that out!!)
I ate an apple on the way home then had a smoothie with my new Sun Warrior Chocolate brown rice protein powder!
 
 
Got it from iherb.com (use code WSD193 for a discount off of your first order!).  Soooo good, with a little added greens, half a frozen banana, 1 T raw cocoa powder, 1 T chia seeds, a packet of Stevia, 1 cup unsweetened almond/coconut milk, and some ice cubes.
 
Now I'm ready to spend the rest of the day with these beautiful faces:
And their handsome daddy :)
 
 
Have an amazing and blessed weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment