Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"Yoatmeal"

(I decided this title fit this dish well!) This recipe is courtesy of my good friend and wellness guru Sharon! Houston is hot for about nine months out of the year, so a hot bowl of oatmeal doesn't always sound appetizing for breakfast.  But oats are full of fiber and, combined with a good protein source, they'll keep you well-fueled and energized all morning! Prepare this dish before you go to bed at night, and in the morning it will be ready for you to grab and go. (Its a great post-workout meal to take with you in a cooler!)

In a cereal-sized bowl, mix equal parts plain greek yogurt, old-fashioned oats, and unsweetened almond or coconut milk (depending on how hungry I am and what I'm doing in the morning, I'll use either 1/2 cup or 1/3 cup of each).  Then add in whatever you like! I put in 1 T of flax seed, about a teaspoon of raw almond butter, some blueberries, a packet of Stevia, and sometimes a 1/2 scoop of protein powder.  Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight. Just keep in mind that whatever you put in the night before will be soggy in the morning! I like to add a sprinkling of walnuts on top in the morning for a little crunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment